Saturday, November 14, 2009

Encouraging Kids

I can only imagine I’m like most parents. There are ways my children can finish the “Hey, Dad, I finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up…” sentences that could easily make me cry.

“Doctor” or “teacher” are safe bets. I won’t shed a tear, though I have a problem seeing my reckless five-year-old son caring about other people’s health given his careless disregard for his own safety. If Viggo, says “doctor,” he’ll get a raised eyebrow.

But if Viggo, or any of my boys, comes to me and declares that they are going to be a banker, systems analyst, salesman, or accountant I will require an special dispensation of God’s grace to get me through the conversation.

See, I’m holding out for artist, musician, or farmer. Completing their declaration with one of those would make my heart leap. Teacher, fireman, or healthcare professional wouldn't be bad either. I'd even take lawyer--as long as it wasn't ambulance chasing.

I’m not sure I understand how someone can get excited about a child becoming a financial adviser or a actuary. Seriously? Why would you want your kid to become one of those?

What are you thinking? You see a childhood of joy and creativity and believe that it comes to its true bloom in navigating Excel spreadsheets to improve business efficiencies and cost reduction?

I suspect that when someone gets excited about their daughter becoming a human resources manager, they’re not excited that their daughter will be using her God-given talents in a way that best allows her to reach her potential and make the most positive impact on the world, but is excited that their daughter has chosen a stable profession that pays well (and is a "manager" so they'll have authority). Her daughter has chosen to be safe—much safer than had she pursued her drawing hobby.

But are we called to be safe? Isn't the bulk of our time on earth meant to do great things?

No comments: