Monday, October 30, 2006

My Existential Problem

Ok, while eating my Cheetos (graciously provided by corporate giant GE) as part of my lunch today I noticed an interesting gimmick on the package.
The package has the corporate shill, Chester, holding a sign telling customers that the recipe for Cheetos is still missing. Hmmm. That's a cute ad, I thought.
But then it hit me. If they don't have a recipe to make the stuff, what the heck is in the bag marked "Cheetos"? And then my mind went even one step further when I realized that we're living in a society where a marketing group can, apparently, successfully sell a product by putting a notice on the package that the manufacturers have "lost" the recipe.
Now, I know this is something marketed towards kids who probably have been well aware of Chester's search for the amazing recipe for Cheetos for some time now. And I'm guessing everyone but Tim is thinking, "Eric, this is stupid. It's just a stupid cartoon." And, you're right. It is. But I'm certain this product packaging says something about the postmodern culture we're living in...I just can't quite put my finger on it.
Just think about it. Some marketing guy had to go in front of a bunch of big wigs at Frito-Lays and convince that that telling their customers that they lost the recipe would actually result in selling more of the world's most tasty snack treats (they are the best snack food, btw).
This marketer knew that their target market would intuitively know that their claim that the recipe has been lost is a facetious one, and just a fun gimmick. Furthermore, the people would find this storyline of the search for Cheetos so appealing that they would love the brand even more and consume these things that make your fingers orange.
Maybe what's bugging me is the fact that the marketer is confident that consumers will trust Frito-Lay and believe that because the package says Cheetos on the front they are buying the same great-tasting cheese thing they've come accustomed to, while simultaneously dis-believing the same package when it says that the company has lost its ability to make Cheetos.
Fascinating, huh?

No comments: